Tuesday, October 19, 2004

friends good

This week we're doing leap retakes. Most of my students (juniors and seniors) have at least one test to retake, so my classes are sparsely populated. I'm taking in students from other sparsely populated classes, as we all are, trying to balance things out. The school was pretty chaotic overall, except on the second floor, where tests were being administered. There, all was absolute peace and honor. Sentries stood at all the stairway doors keeping walkers out. The hallways were quiet. The space for the children was kept what I would call sacred. All the energy at school was focused on the well being and success of these children. It's so admirable.
And it also tells me that it can be done. Forget the irony of the fact that it is this damned test that causes the school to make the sacred spaces happen. Perhaps we should thank the test, now that I think of it. Because now we know it can be done. If the administration and security people could cause this to happen every day, on every floor, during every period of the day, it would be such an honor to our children.
I'm going to request a meeting with the principal.
One last thing. I had a hard time with a kid in the 4th period class I was watching on the third floor and I told him I was getting him out. So I stood at the door waiting for someone big or authorative, or with something in a holster, to come down the hall to get him out. I could not believe my great fortune when the teacher who works across the hall from me on the second floor, this fabulous wild powerful math teacher, the one whom kids love and listen to, and a FRIEND of mine, came down the hall, this hall, usually alien territory for us both. I told her I needed a kid removed from my class. She stood up straight, roared his name, and he folded up his stuff and said yes maam, and left with her. I have no idea what she did with him. I cannot express how grateful I was. It was a perfect stroke of luck. I guess I'm accepting the fact that I'm not a roarer.
I have gotten over something. Everything is better again. I don't know what happened to me these last few weeks, but I'm back.

Melanie Anne Plesh


2 Comments:

Blogger Nancy McKeand said...

It's nice to have you back, Melanie!

I wonder if anyone else really noticed the difference between the test floor conditions and the usual situation. Did they take it for granted or see it as exposing the potential? If you find out, please let us know!

5:56 AM  
Blogger Ally said...

I am so pleased that you feel back in balance again!

1:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home