Tuesday, October 26, 2004

I'm bad

It was a great day. Here's a part of it that occurred. It was first thing this morning. The rest, which includes a student telling me that she knows why I'm teaching at this particular school, I'll write about tomorrow. For the moment, I'll have to leave it at this:
During first period this morning, just after we'd been discussing and writing about mental darkness and mental slavery ("emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds," from Bob Marley's "Redemption Song,") while I was reading aloud an excerpt from Frederick Douglass's narrative in which he says, "You have seen how a man was made a slave; you shall see now how a slave was made a man," someone tapped civilly on the door. I opened it and it was a kid who has been getting in my space lately. He tried pushing his way in, physically. I had my book in my hand. I absolutely refused to have this clown interrupt my class. I absolutely refused to have this absurdity to interfere yet again with a profound moment. I was completely clear and resolute. He was not coming in. And so I stood in the door's opening and forced him out. I stood there and physically would not let him into the room. I set my shoulder and kept him out. He put his foot in the door even, to keep it open, and I pushed it away with my shoe and pulled the door past it. It was not easy. This was a big guy. I don't know where my strength came from. I pried his fingers from off the door and pulled it shut. And then I kept on reading. My heart was pounding and my head full of energy and blood. The text was so beautiful.

Melanie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

the first day i was in your class of my senior year, i got upset and stormed out of your room after class -- you followed behind me, put your hand on my shoulder and spun me around to face you. you got in my face, made me face myself, and then let me move on. you did the exact same thing with the student you described in your entry, with just a different twist -- you showed them who was in control of the situation and that you cared deeply about them, just like you did to me...
- cassandra

11:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home