Sunday, October 24, 2004

innocence

It's Sunday. I conversed with Tim this morning. He was walking in a Paris subway station about to put his token in the gate when I called. Every time I speak to him I can feel Paris. Anyway, he asked me how things were going at school and the first thought that came to me was that things were hard. I told him that week before last I was considering what I might do if things didn't work out for me here. I feel better now, but, still, I cannot not think. He asked me why things were so hard and the first thought that came to my mind is that I was afraid that the children are already ruined. That's a harsh thought, and it scares me to think it. I deeply do not believe it, but on the surface it appears to be possible. And there's always that little thing in the back of my mind (not my heart) that says I might be wrong, that is, that there is no hope.
But there's a student, the girl who retrieved the Maya Angelou book of poetry from the supposed fire. She and her mother were evicted last week from the housing project for not paying the bill. Yet this girl is still alive in her heart, still has hope, and she's innocent. She believes in poetry.
There are no answers.

Melanie

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

one person's trash is another person's treasure... don't forget this while you are teaching the students only the brave chose to embrace and inspire.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Makenzi said...

It's so difficult to tell in a situation like the one you're in, Pleshy. It really is. To know if society's already gone too far with these kids. To know if there's any redemption. But it's a situational thing. Save the ones you can. When and where and how you can. Because there are lost kids everywhere. It's so hard to keep hoping. To keep seeing despair or desperation or depression or anger or frustration or stubborness day in and day out. It's hard, having to wonder whether what you're doing is actually having any impact. It's what I like to call a bummer. But have faith. Have faith in the fact that you are a beacon. For those out there who are lost or aren't sure about their path or just need. You are the guide. Not the path. You're the signpost. And it works. You DO have an impact. Everywhere.

I owe you dinner. And a bloody mary. Keep heart. I love you.

10:59 PM  
Blogger dancingspirit said...

Hi Mel,
Great seeing you the other day at the whatever in Hammond. Don't forget to book your flight for Paris during Christmas break. Our own kids are our real treasure, they're the ones who taught us to love the rest of these guys. The other ones you're right about, are mostly gone, but every now and then you save one and that makes up for all the ones that get away. I had to advocate for one the other day before the Board at an expulsion hearing and he made it through, it was GREAT! Blessings. Patsy :)

6:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home