Monday, December 13, 2004

how I learn

Today I did what I said I wasn't going to do. I took a day off. It wasn't completely frivolous. I had a lot to do, a lot of catching up to do. All my clothes and all my dishes were dirty, for example. And I also admit, I spent the weekend doing nothing but having fun, so didn't do a single thing around the house. So I stayed home today and washed clothes and rugs and quilts and sheets and mopped the bathroom floor and vaccumed and brought the Christmas cedar tree in from the patio and cleaned off the writing table and made some changes to my computer arrangement. And I tried to let myself feel good about it. And guess what the heck? The girl I kicked out the other day, she who returned (I surely didn't want her to go, but we'd come to an impasse) only to throw her folder on the floor and leave again in anger because of the bad grade on her essay, she who was crying in the hall. M. She telephoned me to find out if I was sick.
I knew intuitively that it was important for me not to miss school. But now I know in an empirical way.

Melanie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is perfectly okay to take a "sick day" or a "mental health day" every once in a while. From the standpoint of a former student, it isn't easy for us when you take them because your spirit is missed so incredibly much. At least you come back in a solid mindset though and it helps us more in the longrun...

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home