Wednesday, December 01, 2004

the human condition

It was a great day. I did another batch of vocabulary words with the children, 27 words I culled from two essays I cut out of the Times-Picayune a few days ago. I know it seems like too much, me standing in front of them telling them what words mean, but their intellectual curiosity was sparked and it was fun feeding them and seeing the pleasure they had in learning some new things. They're hungry and they're smart. Regarding the essays, one was about the melee on the basketball court Artest and the Pacers were involved in, the other about several recent publicized acts of boorishness. Both of the essays addressed aspects of the condition of the American human. The words led to the themes and the themes led us to look at our society. I hope now we can make the leap from our society to us. I have planned two more days of essay reading and writing, one piece of writing about subjects they think it would behoove us to see written about, another piece about what it seems we learn about ourselves from the essays we read. Next week I hope to help them see that poets bespeak us as much as essayists do.
And again, the third week is still anybody's guess. And I hope it stays that way for a while. I love the not knowing, the letting it unfold.

Melanie

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy McKeand said...

Melanie,

I love reading your posts. The sense of wonder is still there strong. I applaud you! Thank you for sharing with us!

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home