Monday, February 14, 2005

the snake helped

I did what I intended. I stood at the door and caught the culprits and told them what time it is and they rolled their eyes, and I told them that was a disrespectful act too and they'd need to drop that action from their repertoire. The class went fine. The original perpetrator, EN, wasn't there, and neither was another one, but that's okay. I've got a grip.
I realized today that one of the problems with me is that I feel sorry for these children and so I let them get away with too much. It's hard to draw the line. It's not black and white, but it needs to be moreso. I'd told myself that if I had to err, I'd err on the side of kindness. But I think that's faulty thinking. I think there should be fewer iffy areas. That's hard for me. I deeply do not understand hard and fast rules.
We got a lot of work done in that class today, which right there is enough proof that order is better than kindness. Did I say that? Good grief!
I am worn out. Just standing at that door this morning, gathering my strength and wherewithal, exerting, and standing by it, wiped me out. But it's done. I made it.
The snake around my neck got a little bit of attention. It's a little intimidating I guess. Fine. Maybe not everyone can wear a snake necklace. Maybe that told them something about me.

Melanie

1 Comments:

Blogger leslieg said...

I'd like to see a picture of the snake and perhaps borrow it.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home