Wednesday, April 06, 2005

the truth, 2

So, how about that Orleans Parish? No money to pay the teachers next Friday. There it is, front page headline, enough to add that little (or not so little, depending on level of optimism and belief in the human race and that people will do the right thing) ANGST to our lives. To add a perspective to things, I heard that there was a shooting outside Lawless High School today.
I was one of those people who thought Orleans Parish teachers needed a little shaking up. I came to my school thinking I'd find a bunch of teachers in it for the money (which is very telling in itself, that teacher money would be considered something to sell one's soul over), not teaching, and all like that, and that I would give myself over to the students, blah blah blah, to give them something and do something beautiful for a change. I was very wrong, and I'm embarrassed, and I apologize for my elitist thoughts. There are plenty of excellent and dedicated and loyal teachers at my school, people trying hard, and, as far as love for the children goes, I've never seen anything like it. This school is full of love. This blog has been just one person telling a story, but, in the case of my school, multiply my story by 50 and you can see the story of a school, and multiply that by the number of schools, and you get my point. My story is everybody's story who teaches in Orleans Parish. I'm just the only one right now talking.
But the part of that story that I hope never gets overlooked or overwhelmed by the distractingly low stuff is how fine the children are, and how grateful they are to be educated.
This has been a monumental week. Breathtaking. Perhaps this seems hyperbolic. It is not. These children so much love it when they understand something, like how to put together a research paper. That's what's happening this week, the research paper. I'm not doing anything with them I didn't always do with students, and believe me, it's nothing spectacular that I'm doing. But these children are so serious about it. It's awesome.
One final note. Yesterday the BMOC, who is in my first period writing class and has really gotten into it, told me, "Ms Plesh, you my nigga." I told him I couldn't tell anybody about that because I just can't say that word, and he said, "Don't worry Ms Plesh. You can say it. I got your back."
I love them.

Okay. That's the truth for now.

Melanie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Cassandra said...

Yesterday the BMOC, who is in my first period writing class and has really gotten into it, told me, "Ms Plesh, you my nigga." I told him I couldn't tell anybody about that because I just can't say that word, and he said, "Don't worry Ms Plesh. You can say it. I got your back."
I love them.


That says something really profound about the level at which you are reaching them...

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home