Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Jonathan Kozol

Yesterday I read a book called Savage Inequalities by Jonathan Kozol. It's about America's schools, particularly the inner-city schools. It was copyrighted in 1991. It shocked me to read that the conditions of the high schools he visited during his research for the book are STILL the conditions of the inner-city schools today. The one that struck me most was the lack of teachers and how some kids have substitutes all year. It's unconscionable. I cannot understand it. What is WRONG with the powers that be that children are allowed to be thrown away like this?
It did help me focus my thoughts as to what this book is about that I'm writing. It's not to expose the system, though it does do that, but it's to bring up the idea that schools (inner-city and suburban) are all doing the same things to our children: not letting them think for themselves.
I'm still struggling with the introduction. I've completely rewritten it since what I posted last time. I'm going to revise it and get it more right before I post it again.
Melanie

1 Comments:

Blogger Nancy McKeand said...

Kozol's books are pretty amazing. And how sad to realize that we haven't come very far in nearly 15 years!

I like the focus for the book. I think the issues are too big and the problems too widespread to make it an expose about your school system.

Can't wait to read the new and improved intro!

1:16 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home