Wednesday, June 14, 2006

a matter of perspective

School is over and I've been to Paris and now I am finally really going to settle in on writing again. I've been stymied with the writing of the story of Douglass and I haven't known why until yesterday. Yesterday my friend asked me if I had any trouble last year writing, and I didn't, not really. What she said to that made me gain perspective. She said that last summer, Douglass was still a viable (relatively speaking) school, and ongoing. At that time I was writing the blog and the book to address the plight of the children of New Orleans, and the sad state of the school system. Now there is no Douglass anymore, no 9th ward/lower 9th ward to speak of, almost no New Orleans, so now I see that the job isn't about addressing conditions so that maybe they'll change. Now the job is to be an advocate and tell the story of those children I knew, to say what I learned about them, about what they were given in the name of education, so, I don't know, maybe so the outside world can know a little more of what they were up against. Anyway, now what I'm doing is telling a story about something that happened and is over. It's an entirely different point of view.

6 Comments:

Blogger Nancy McKeand said...

I hope this new perspective helps you write the story. It is an important one.

Stay happy.

7:13 PM  
Anonymous Cassandra said...

Why not share a before and after? Their stories are still important... even if they stopped before their climax. Please don't lose that perspective.

11:21 PM  
Blogger TinSoldier said...

Hi. I found your blog last night when searching for Douglass school stuff. I was with the Oregon National Guard stationed at the school last year after the hurricane. I have a lot of pictures even though they are not on the web yet.

Let me know if you want them.

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where are you now???? Are you back at MHS? Let us know! Take care -
MMKK

4:41 PM  
Anonymous MrAnalogy said...

I can see the difficulty you're having writing this year.

Last year you were writing a book.

This year you're writing a eulogy.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous nisha said...

Awesome site. Very informative and nice design. I really like your posts and your style.
mba

10:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home